- Lower labor costs: a company that manufactures in China can reduce costs by 30 to 80 % depending on the labor intensity of the product and its repeatable processes.
- Access manufacturing efficiencies and economies of scale
- Proximity to downstream manufacturers (increasingly based in China) for makers of intermediate goods
- Lower capital costs
- Easy access to diverse raw materials
- Lower prototyping & tooling costs.
- The entrepreneurial spirit of the Chinese managers.
- Expand manufacturing capacity
- Access to increasingly competitive and sophisticated Chinese research and technology, both in staff and technologies.
The process in design for manufacturing includes raw material selection and review, secondary processes if any, dimensional and other requirements, and final packaging.
Design for manufacturing differs from design for assembly in that design for manufacturing is concerned only with reducing overall part production cost whereas design for assembly is concerned only with reducing product assembly cost.
- Standardizing of materials and components
- Minimizing part counts
- Designing for efficient assembly
- Simplifying and reducing the number of manufacturing operations and creating modular assemblies.
- Tooling: 60 days on average
- Production: 45 days on average
- Shipping: 3 to 6 weeks
- It can take 6 months up to 2 years depending on the complexity of the product design and diversity of the materials used.
- Bill of Materials
A clear BOM or Bill Of Materials should be communicated to the factory…..
- Quality Standards
Quality standards need to be defined right away with clear specifications and a finalized prototype. Sampels can then be requested to evaluate their ability to make products to your standards.
- Factory Selection Criteria
1. Experience: If a factory has never made a similar item, move on to the next factory.
2. Location: Taxes are just one reason why location is important to evaluate. All goods produced in China are assessed a Value Added Tax (VAT), a percentage of which is rebated to the factory once its goods are exported. But that rebate rate varies from province to province. So, in theory, a product can cost 10% more just because you made it in the wrong province.
3. Communication Skills: Speed as well as quality and clarity of the communication is key to make a project successful especially if you don’t speak Chinese (Mandarin).
4. Production Capacity: Their ability to scale up quickly is essential especially if you are a successful startup or a large corporation that needs millions of items in just a few weeks.
5. Quality: What type of quality-control processes they have in place? Which tests do they conduct?
- Information Coming Soon
Review Your Product Concept
Prototyping & Product Engineering
Shipping to your Clients